Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

7 Ways to Save Money

Lately we have be trying to faithfully live by a budget, which doesn't come naturally for me or my husband. BUT now that we are parents we must start planning for the future. I thought I'd share a few ways we've learned to cut back. Enjoy!!
1. We plan our meals in advance and only buy the groceries on the list!! (this is hard, but it is nice once you get used to it and it keeps you from buying on impulse)

2. Eat at home... which is much cheaper than eating out.  This one has been hard for us because we travel quite abit, but it is the best area to save the most amount of money.

3. Plan trips in advance... instead of running to the store every time you need something wait and make a list and get it all done at once. This helps cut down on gas expense.

4. Don't buy paper towels. This one was hard for me. I hate using a rag, but I have adjusted and we now use old rags to clean and just throw them in the wash and reuse them. This one is also ecofriendly.

5. EAT LEFTOVERS. My husband hates this one, but if you are throwing food away you might as well be throwing money away.

6. Learn to discern a Want from a Need.... we "want" alot of things, but do we really "need" it.

7. Evaluate your monthly bills and make sure that you are getting the best deal possible... (insurance, cell phone, cable, ect) We recently refinanced and cut 10 years off the life of our loan, saving us tens of thousands of dollars on our house.

Oh the things we learn!! If you've found other ways to cut back, please share!!

1 comment:

  1. I try not to use paper towels either! And we have been doing #7 too! Eating out is expensive! I try to bring snacks when I go out, that helps sometimes. With food, I make a lot of things from scratch, which can take time, but cooking/baking is something Eli and I can do together!

    ReplyDelete